Saturday, May 30, 2015

Day 6: #SharingStreak Amy Noll

Amy Noll with her Grandpa Whitworth who fought with the Marines in Okinowa and earned the Purple Heart. Amy is also running with Inheritance of Hope in the Marine Corps Marathon! 
Many of you know my deep friendship with Amy Noll as documented through my blog and well--LIFE.

She is one of my closest friends and I can't imagine life without her. She, along with my other bestie Jenn ran that NYC Marathon last year with Inheritance of Hope. Amy has signed up AGAIN with IOH in the Marine Corps Marathon. She is ALSO fundraising but donated to ME. What a friend!

So here is her #sharingstreak story:

Who- My Opa,  Lloyd Whitworth.

Why-  He joined the Marine Corps when he was 17 and fought in World War 2. He received a Purple Heart for injuries he sustained during the Okinawa Campaign during WW2 while serving with the 6th Marine Division.
While he was technically my 'step-grandpa' I never knew the difference. He was a quiet man but was the hardest worker I have ever known. He also loved to hunt and was an excellent marksman. He passed away in January of this year at the age of 89 and there is definitely a hole in all of our hearts with the loss. My youngest brother, John, when he was in high school used to volunteer his weekends to participate in WW2 reenactments near our hometown in Texas in which Opa would go. It was a family affair. While Opa never talked much about when he was in the Marines, he certainly stood a little taller and walked a little prouder when he would go to the reenactments. 


Where I find peace through trying times- Definitely Jesus. His fingerprints are all over my life and I cannot deny how much he loves and cares for me. And also nature. Mountains in particular. All my cares and stress just melt away.


How- In my short 25 years my family has experienced several intense close losses and looking back we  have been cared for every step of the way. 


Quote-my favorite right now- I have two.."Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."     -Theodore Roosevelt  

'Nature desires us to hear and see the great story of God's love to which it points.' -Henri Nouwen


Pump up song- anything Pitbull. Most notably 'Don't Stop The Party.' Cause it's fun to run to.


Just a reminder about what the #sharingstreak is all about: I am fundraising for families with terminal illnesss for the charity Inheritance of Hope for the Marine Corps Marathon. 

For time period between Memorial Day and 4th of July, I am running at least a mile a day. I am asking for donations to IOH and will share the stories of the donors on my blog. The stories can be stories of hope through cancer, loss, or of military service ideally. 

If you would like to make a donation, that can be done here-----> Inheritance of Hope. 

No comments: