Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I Want to Be Cool About This

cesspool of Sin Radio Spot

About a month ago, a state senator in NC referred to Asheville as the "cesspool of sin". It was very judgey and ridiculous. He made no real point except to alienate an entire city to whatever point of view he was trying to make and now my fair city has actually positioned itself as the "cesspool of sin" which is super fantastic.

Now my favorite station in town has just released a promotional campaign for a fundraiser by one of my favorite on air personalities, the host of "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR, Peter Segal has produced this spot for WCQS that actually says "stay demonic Asheville."

Sigh.

Why?
WHY.
It just continues the anger, the fight and has crafted a feeling of alienation by this bit of nonsense. I want to laugh and look past it. But my conscience is pricked by this and I dislike it. I think it is poor positioning and branding simply as an ad campaign. But moreoever, I would like to acknowledge that I am a sinner trying not to contribute to demonic activity. What choices does ts ad campaign leave me with? It sounds like 1. Don't fund the station & 2. Don't listen. Neither of which I want to do.

I can take a tongue in cheek poke of fun. I am all about irony. I get it. This just feels undermining and like someone got too loose with the copy at the end of the promo.
In fact, this actually feels like being poked with a stick. A really sharp one.

No comments: