Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Thar's a Bar

Yesterday, the cover story of our local paper The Citizen Times was about how a bear ate a local couple's pet schnauzer (as opposed to the wild schnauzer population that is roaming the hills) when the husband let the dog out to pee on Sunday night. The story included lots of information about how to make sure that bears aren't hanging out outside of your house in the middle of the night because the late spring frost killed their main food source.

It was a pretty freaky story and I definitely had the image of my head of sweet little FiFi barking its head off at big scary mama bear and the bear taking the dogs head off.

So I was carrying around that image in my head all day yesterday.

Around 2:30am, I woke up because Lucy was screaming her head off because she lost her pacifier in her crib and couldn't find it. When I came back to bed, I was settling in and I heard our garbage can get knocked over. My first thought was, "BEAR!" So I jumped out of bed, our motion detector light was on. I was peeking through the windows, but I couldn't see anything except that the garbage can was knocked over. Our window was slightly cracked and I could hear the bags rustling in the wind. I looked for a good three minutes for any sign of bears. I tried waking Matt up-but that was a wasted effort. Since I couldn't see anything, I just went to bed and I didn't hear anything else during the night.

This morning, I told Matt that I thought we might have had a bear outside of our house last night. He asked me why I didn't wake him up-hmph.

And then I went to let Slappy outside for her morning bathroom break and sure enough; garbage was strewn across our yard. Matt was kind enough to pick it all up as I have a delicate gag reflex. Otherwise I would probably still be out there picking up poopy diapers and old cantaloupe scraps and dry heaving the entire time.

All I can say is, I guess the bear really wanted my leftover 7-layer Cruncherito from Taco Bell that I had for dinner last night!

2 comments:

Spooner said...

The "Drive Fast, Yell Stuff" mix is all yours, I'll burn it to CD tonight. It'll have you speeding more in no time. Though it is loud and sweet, it is none too clean. Dre doesn't roll that way when he's comin' Straight Outta Compton.

Unknown said...

No, he sure doesn't...and neither do I.