Monday, June 18, 2007

oh sweet saranac


Here we are at camp. It is now Day 2. Last night we ran the Obstacle Course (stealth style-due to sound ordinance issues) after club and then we had cabin time and off to bed.

This morning we had the Volleyball Tournament and our girls kicked tail. We find out tonight if we won, I will be so surprised if we did not. This afternoon, our cabin got to go tubing and the girls had a blast! I opted to be the designated photgrapher-surprise surprise!


And yes that is Matt and Brad with their boys in blue body paint wearing Depends (like the Smurfs)



It is crazy to be here after I met Christ at this camp 11 years ago. So much has changed within me, and yet I feel like very little has changed. I struggle with many of the same issues and personality defects. It is a bit disheartening to look around this camp and remember all of the baggage and jut plain depressing things that I brought here as an 18-year old. The really sad thing, is that it is NOTHING compared to some of the stuff that the girls in our cabin are dealing with.

But, I find myself getting sad and reflective over some painful memories from that time of life. And joy over the miracle that happened in the midst of it. I clearly remember the speaker saying that week, "Your life is a pit that you have dug yourself into, You can not get yourself out of it because you are so deep, you are over your head." I heard that and just said, "Yep, you are right!"

He also went on to say that our only hope is in Jesus Christ. He is the only one who can lift us out the hole and we never have to go back.

Praise God he was right. My new life started right then and there and nothing has been the same since.

Since that summer, I have many friends who have had similar experiences at this particular Young Life camp. It is really exciting and fun to be here with high school girls that are going through the same thing-THIS WEEK. Feel free to pray for all of us. We have 13 girls here who are all over the place. Pray for them. Please.



Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Les. I have been thinking about you guys all week and am definitely praying for you. I can't believe you are at camp! And your parents are rock stars for keeping the kids. Thanks for the pics you posted - it makes me want to be there! You and Matt are on the front lines and we are so thankful you are who you are! Don't be robbed of your joy - you are a new creation and God couldn't be more pleased with you than He is right now. Love you!
-Buff

Michelle said...

Those girls are adorable! Everything looks super fun and a great way to experience a friendship with Christ. Good for you for being there to guide them through the experience. Love ya!

JF said...

Wow! Powerful! To hear you talk about YL Camp brings back memories too! God tested me SO MUCH the summer that I worked there, but not even just there... the entire summer! And to read about where you were 11 years ago... here ya babe! God's grace is unbelieveable! And when you were talking about "being in a pit"... I hope you caught Beth Moore's book "Get Out of that Pit". If not, you would love it. Quick reading and a lot of it you could even share with your girls! I will be praying for you and them! Keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

HOW on earth do you have all this energy?????????? I can barely keep up with my two! :) I think my Lucy and Asher are near the same age, too.