Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Real Thing


I just saw this on the back of my Diet Coke 12-pack:

"Refreshing. Uplifting. Hydrating?

It's true. Research shows that all beverages contribute to proper hydration. That means whether it's your first can of the day or your afternoon pick-me-up, Diet Coke helps you stay hydrated all day long. So stick with the Diet Coke taste that you love. Your body will thank you for it."


Your body will thank you for it. Really? Is that what it is doing? Seriously, cut it out Coke. As much as I LOVE Diet Coke, this is an ad ploy that goes WAY TO FAR. And just to let you know, I feel exactly the same after I drink three Diet Cokes as I do when I drink water. Except that I can clean my carpets, paint the house and do amazing zig-zag drawings all in under half an hour because three Diet Cokes=speed in my body and makes it so I can't settle down the entire day.

But, I mean-at least I am hydrated right?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am pretty surprised the claims from Diet Coke's on their packaging. Yes, DC's will give you a nice boost of caffeine and are refreshing, but it's absolutely not good for you.
Our family met with a nutrionist last year who wrote the following about artificial sweeteners, such as those found in Diet Coke:
" Your liver is your largest internal organ, and it’s responsible for an astonishing variety of life-sustaining and health-promoting tasks, including those that make healthy weight loss and weight management possible. Integral to countless metabolic processes, the liver supports the digestive system, controls blood sugar and regulates fat storage. One of your liver’s most important functions, and the most crucial to your weight loss, is chemically breaking down everything that enters your body, from healthy vegetables, to not so healthy fast food, from healthy water to not so healthy soda.
It’s your liver’s job to distinguish between the nutrients you need to absorb and the dangerous or unnecessary substances that must be filtered out of your bloodstream. But when the liver is clogged and overwhelmed with toxins, like artificial sweeteners, it can’t do a very effective job of processing nutrients and fats. If it can not process the nutrients and fats that your body needs, this will cause you to gain weight or will prevent you from losing weight."

So, maybe they should add the following to their packaging:
Warning: Drinking this can make you FAT.