Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Scariest Moment So Far


I had to run to the grocery store this afternoon for three things. I debated just leaving the kids in the car and running in, but I decided against that since I don't like being arrested for child endangerment. So I took them in. I let Asher just run alongside the cart and pushed Lucy. It was actually enjoyable and fun since both kids were in great moods.
After we left the store, I put Asher in the car first and threw the groceries in the front seat. I, of course, bought more than three things. But anyway. I slam the door and come around to the rear of the car where Lucy is seating in the buggy. But she isn't there and neither is the buggy. It is literally running away from the car by itself going downhill and picking up speed.

It is NOT moving slowly and the look on Lucy's face I am sure mirrored the look on my face. It is picking up speed and I am talking about at least 15mph and she is getting further away from me, at least 15-20 yards. The parking lot is sloped pretty significantly away from my car and I can't catch up to the cart. The cart veers and finally smashes into a parked car and then turns over sideways which is when I finally catch it before it smashes into the ground and breaks my daughters neck. I got all bruised up because I pretty much ran through the cart to grab Lucy before she hit the ground. Lucy was banged up pretty good too because she was facing the opposite way when the cart hit the car. I haven't moved that fast since I played soccer in college. I didn't even wet myself, which is another minor miracle.

She was crying really hard, but settled down after a minute or two and no damage was done to the car that the cart hit. But two women appeared out of nowhere and couldn't believe that she was not hurt more badly. She has some bruises on her back from where the cart hit the car and her back was smashed against the seat rest. But that's all. I am convinced that it was only the grace of God. It was unbelieveably scary. My legs were still shaking an hour after it happened, mostly because my mind went to all the insane things that could have happened had she hit the ground. I mean, that's how you end up in Reader's Digest people. One day, you are doing your thing and then the next minute something insane happens to you and you get to freak out America with your tragedy. Well, we avoided it for today. Praise God.

2 comments:

Jill Rutland said...

Les... something similar happened to us yesterday. But a crazy business man caught our cart and then proceeded to shake his head at me and say "tisk tisk". Glad Lucy isn't hurt too badly. I'm sure her guardian angel is in some need of repair!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Be To God!! ~~ Mary