Friday, January 25, 2008

Songs that make you think


This morning was my morning off from my kids because of my wonderful co-op with my Weaverville girlfriends. And I took the morning to myself. I made dinner in the crock-pot and because I am a crack head, I decided to go running. Outside. In 35 degree weather. I was cold when I started, but by the end of the run I was a sweaty mess and felt AMAZING. I haven't run outside in months for several reasons, two of them are named Lucy and Asher. But I was rocking out to my ipod on shuffle and NightSwimming by REM came on.
This may not seem like a natural song for many of you to run to. But, I was a freshman in high school when Automatic for the People came out. I remember buying the tape at the time, and it was so cool-clear YELLOW. How original! Haha. Anyway, it was one of the first cd's that I bought when I got my first CD player. (The CD was all yellow too) I can pretty much sing every word to every song on that cd right now. It was so great to hear a song that brought back so many memories, good and bad. Some were really sweet and others were that annoying dramatic high school moments when I just needed to listen to this cd in order to FEEL deep.
Anyway, I was loving the song, loving sweating while running around a frozen lake and looking at ducks. All without my children. Bliss.

Sorry that I haven't updated the blog with anything of substance lately. I got the flu over the weekend (just gave it to Matt) and have had no energy. Along with, I have been working a lot of hours trying to close my first sale and getting it kicked off the ground. Hurray for my new job!

Anyway, here are the lyrics to Night Swimming just in case you don't know the song!

Nightswimming deserves a quiet night.
The photograph on the dashboard, taken years ago,
Turned around backwards so the windshield shows.
Every streetlight reveals the picture in reverse.
Still, its so much clearer.
I forgot my shirt at the waters edge.
The moon is low tonight.

Nightswimming deserves a quiet night.
Im not sure all these people understand.
Its not like years ago,
The fear of getting caught,
Of recklessness and water.
They cannot see me naked.
These things, they go away,
Replaced by everyday.

Nightswimming, remembering that night.
Septembers coming soon.
Im pining for the moon.
And what if there were two
Side by side in orbit
Around the fairest sun?
That bright, tight forever drum
Could not describe nightswimming.

You, I thought I knew you.
You I cannot judge.
You, I thought you knew me,
This one laughing quietly underneath my breath.
Nightswimming.

The photograph reflects,
Every streetlight a reminder.
Nightswimming deserves a quiet night, deserves a quiet night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. this is one of my favorite all-time songs. love it. i'm going to listen to it RIGHT NOW...... awesome!