Sunday, August 26, 2007

Facebooking Etiquette

I just saw this article on Wired.com and I have to say...GOOD TIPS.

For those of you who don't know facebook or don't belong...well I am just sorry. It is the first stop I make in the morning now. If you are over 35, I wouldn't bother because you won't know anyone on there. I only have one person that I went to high school with who is on Facebook, but almost everyone else I know has staked a claim. So here is the etiquette if you are going to join or are a newbie:
Save Face on Facebook: Facebook Etiquette
As Facebook slowly but surely begins to take over all aspects of our lives, I believe it is important to keep in mind certain principles of etiquette when using the social networking service. Having been a user since 2004, when it was still exclusive to certain colleges/universities, I like to consider myself somewhat of a facebook veteran. I would therefore like to contribute certain Facebook etiquette rules:

One should not friend another whom they have no association or connection with whatsoever. Doing so makes you what I like to call a ‘creeper’.
Poke with moderation and caution (I stand firmly by this etiquette principle).
When speaking with someone whom you have been casually ‘facebook stalking’, try to pretend you do not know everything about them. Avoid comments like: “So, I saw you and Mike broke up on facebook…”
Drunken facebooking can get you in trouble… Try to restrain yourself from leaving an inebriated wall post on that cute guy or girl’s profile.
Additionally, writing on your own wall is somewhat of a "faux pas" (I believe strongly in this one as well).
Beware of potential employers browsing facebook photos. That body shot or keg stand picture might not encourage hiring.
One’s profile should not be overloaded with unnecessary applications (such as Superpoke, Food Fight, ect.), Facebook is not meant to be like myspace.
Being part of too many Facebook groups devalues the ones you truly care about, try to stick to a select few (under 25?).
One’s popularity is based on the number of “Happy Birthday!!!!!” wallposts they receive. Do not forget to leave one on good friends’ walls on their special day.
Finally (for now), do use Facebook as a way to keep in touch with people whom you otherwise might not but do not let it replace actual human interaction (easier said than done).

No comments: