Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I thought we'd made it



I actually had the thought today..."We made it! We dodged the throw up bullet!!!" We got all dressed up for the 1840's night. Asher and Lucy looked so cute! We went to dinner and Asher didn't want to eat any BBQ, but instead opted for the classic watermelon, bread and corn dinner that everyone raves about.

Just as he was digging in, I noticed an odd smell about the room and he had an explosive diaper. So much so, that he had to eat the rest of his meal without his shirt on. No big deal. He ate about four pieces of watermelon and dessert and then we came back to the room to put Lucy to bed.

We left and went to see the Opera (for those of you who don't know, Matt and his fellow program guys put on about a 45 minute drama that culminates the story line for the week. They sing, they dance, they act like idiots and so it is called the Opera). We went to opera and Asher loved it like always. He seemed to be going strong at the end so I decided to take him to the dance. We walked into the dining hall where the dance is held. Every camper, leader, work crew, summer staff and assigned team member is in the dining hall in a giant circle for the dance and Asher walks into the middle of the circle and starts throwing up. That's right. Every bit of watermelon, corn, bread and of course; dirt cake. Right there in the middle of the floor that a bunch of handicapped high schoolers are about to dance on. AWESOME. I, of course, am paralyzed. I have no idea what to do.

Thankfully, a few of the leaders jumped into action and start cleaning it up. I felt terrible and I kept apologizing. One of them said, "Please. I have been wiping butts all week. This is cake!"

That's why we love Young Life.


That's right, keep eating that watermelon big boy.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh. I mean, why does he always get the throw ups? I can totally picture the scene - and I know what you mean about being paralyzed and not knowing what to do. That's too funny...and terrible. Sorry that happened to you!

Buff

Michelle said...

Are you kidding me?!? Seriously. This couldn't have really happened, right? Aaahhhh! I feel so bad for you. I would've been paralyzed too...
The only comparison/similar funny story I have is the time that 1) I had actually had nightmare about Sarah having an explosive diaper in the middle of a room full of people. 2) I told some friends that story of my nightmare when we were gathered at a party. 3) Literally five minutes later, as Sarah is sitting in our friend's mega-saucer, she had a hugely-explosive diaper that leaked onto the bottom of said mega-saucer without me noticing. Then, as if in slow-motion, Peter and 2 other kids were climbing around the mess and started spreading it everywhere with their hands and feet before I noticed what had happened. I, too, was frozen at that moment not knowing what to handle first and horrified beyond belief.
Anyway, your story trumps mine...but it sounds like everyone around you was a great sport and helpful. Just think--you'll be home in 2 more days!
Love ya!

Unknown said...

The same leader that helped clean it all up also made the best comment of the week two days ago. After the pool party, Matt went up to him and said, "Thanks for all you do!" He said, "Yeah, hey can you imagine how much urine is in this pool right now???" We haven't been to the pool since.

Thanks for all of your comments. Asher threw up one more time in the middle of the night, but is FINE today. I think that we have a dairy food allergy on our hands because of the dirt cake. Uggh.

Anonymous said...

oh gosh. just stop it. that is awful. i can't handle it. i mean, i have yet to deal with throw up in my almost 7 years of nannying. knock on wood.

Jeannie said...

HAVE MERCY! I am so sorry! Glad that he's better today!

Martha B. Metzler said...

Is Buffy really picking on Asher for stomach problems? Buffy... really? Pot? Kettle?

Anderson, Party of Five! said...

Leslie,
LOVE the photos. So glad I got to be there to see those two cuties in person - oh, and to see the throw up. It was awesome! I am so thankful for your blogging wisdom. I'm hooked!