Friday, January 29, 2010

Ever Feel Like This?

Last night, one of our college friends fathers died after going in for a general surgical procedure.
Just really an unexpected blow.
It's a real ding dong dandy. But not so dandy.

We'd like for the hits to cease for a little while.

But I've been reminded lately that God is not to be found in our circumstances like a giant Magic 8 Ball. Often I believe I can read how pleasing my life is or isn't to God by my circumstances (like reading tea leaves or something). If things are good, then I'm on solid ground. If bad, then I need to shake things up until they get better. But I'm learning you can't just grind out life working harder until it gets better.

These things are going to keep coming. That is life.
Someone else is GOING to die.
Someone else is GOING to lose their job.
Someone else is GOING to get married and have great joy.
So have I. I am going to experience great highs and great lows in my life. Who is God going to be in the midst of these things to me?

God doesn't say anything on the topic except this:
He just says..."I AM."

He just wants me to open my hands and take what he is trying to place into them in the midst of whatever is going on-good or bad.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

My life isn't a Magic 8 Ball that I can read how pleasing my life is or isn't to God by my circumstances either. I'm just trying to open my hands and see how God wants to fill them.

No comments: