Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent




Its the annual Lent post.

Ash Wednesday was yesterday.
I went to services last night and both kids totally freaked out over seeing Ashes on my forehead.
I had to spend the better part of the night explaining to them why they were there, it didn't work. All they kept saying was, "I don't want that."

Ok then.

But the point of Lent?
To point out that we really need Jesus.
The end.

How do we do this?
Some people do this by instilling disciplines in their lives that are bigger than themselves that point out (in some way) that they are not good enough on their own. Perhaps, a discipline that is just out of reach.

This year?
I am attempting to not raise my voice.
Why?
I realized that I do. A lot.
To my kids. To Matt. In my head. In my car.

So there you go.
Not for glory am I telling you, which is the opposite of the point. But for accountability.
I already failed by the way.
I totally need for Jesus to have died on the cross on Easter.

I realized that I raise my voice because I am angry.
Why am I angry?
Because I am not content.
Because I want to be in charge.
Of everything.
And when things don't go my way, I get frustrated, flustered and angry.
And I lose sight of the fact that this is not the end all, be all of life and I let everyone have it.

So I am going to try to give it up.
For 40 days.
And hopefully for the rest of my life.
Because I am going to see the goodness of God in my life.

I hope.
I pray.
That is the point of Lent.

No comments: