Sunday, February 17, 2008

Real Simple Tip of the Week


I was just reading my March issue of Real Simple and they have a review on washing machines.
I have a washing machine and a dryer. But I hate them. I absolutely want a new set. But I absolutely do not have the money for a new set when I have a pair that work. But they don't work that great.

My dryer is from my mom and dad. They gave it to us as a hand-me-down seven years ago. And I am pretty sure that it is 25 years old. The buzzer goes for at least one minute long at the most alarming volume possible. It is inefficient and during our first year of marriage, I never checked Matt's pockets for items. He always left things in the pockets like Sharpie Markers or Chap-Stick. Did you know that Chap-Stick is ACTUALLY WAX? And it never comes out of a dryer? So occasionally...not that often, but occasionally clothes will emerge from the dryer with a big wax stain across it. Love ruining clothes. But it dries things and so it works. It is also yellow/beige and it is so ugly.

My washing machine was bought seven years ago as well and it just doesn't get the job done nearly like I like. Water doesn't run during the rinse cycle like it ought to and so our clothes often have to be run through the rinse cycle twice in order to get all of the suds out. What does this mean? Stains don't come out quite like they ought to simply because not enough water is getting to it.

All of this is to be said because Real Simple was reviewing washing machines and well...it made me realize that I really do want a new set. How 1950's housewife is that?

But the Real Simple Tip of the Week is this: "If you out a 1,000-rpm washing machine on the second floor without shock absorbers, it will shake the entire floor during the spin cycle. Don't worry if your machine is in the basement or the ground floor since they are reinforced."

I hadn't thought about if your washer is on the second floor of your house. Ours is in our basement, but since we are looking for new houses; this is now something to consider! Who knows if I will get a new set when we move. I feel like we ought to buy a new set simply for appearances when selling our house. Nothing too fancy, but simple and we can make it a conveyance on our house. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? Would an ugly washer and dryer make you not want to buy a house?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

josh's dad and step-mom got there's at the goodwill store (in hendersonville). they both work great, are matching, and were nearly new! and they were really cheap, obviously. maybe swing by next time you're passing through?

Kelly H said...

our washer and dryer is on the second floor and seems fine up there.

Anonymous said...

hey, my mom uses goo gone on chapstick things, because cory always leaves stuff in his pockets...
just squirt some on and then wash it again, it comes out 85% of the time.