Monday, March 10, 2008
Award Winning Chili
Last night we had a the fifth annual Chili Cookoff at our area wide leadership and our team won! Nikki Petty developed this amazing chili that is the best tasting chili I have ever had.
I know that it is the end of chili season, but if it turns cold again and you need a little something to warm you up inside, give this chili a whirl:
3 lbs. Ground beef
1 lb. Neese Sausage (hot)
½ lb bacon
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 lg. green bell pepper, chopped
3 – 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 TSP salt
1 TSP cumin
1 ½ TSP chili powder
1 TSP oregano
1 ½ TSP cayenne pepper
3 cans red kidney, pinto, and Bush’s Chili beans (1 can of each)
1 can (28oz.) whole tomatoes, un-drained
1 can (14.5oz) diced garlic tomatoes, un-drained
• Combine beef, sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a large pot and cook until meat is browned. Drain grease then return to pot.
• In a separate pan cook bacon. Be sure not to over cook the bacon. You don’t want it crispy but rather chewy. Cook it slightly; enough to give it form. Finely chop and add to ingredients in large pot.
• To large pot add brown sugar, flour, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano and cayenne pepper. You can continue to add cayenne pepper for taste and heat, totally your preference.
• Let large pot simmer for approx. 1 hour for flavor to set in, stirring occasionally (this time is up to you as well, but at least let sit for 45 mins).
• Drain red kidney and pinto beans. Leave liquid in the Bush’s Chili beans. Don’t drain tomatoes, liquid will be need for chili. Chop up whole tomatoes.
• Add beans and tomatoes to large pot and let simmer for 20-25mins, stirring occasionally.